Thursday 15 May 2014

Tomorrow I turn twenty six

I know everybody says this, but it definitely feels like I should have things a bit more sorted than I do now. I’m at least supposed to have taken the first tentative steps towards my career or a goal of some kind, aren’t I? It’s not like I have done nothing over the past 8 years (JEEEEZZZ! Has it been that long?), but life has definitely got in the way. I was going to give you a quick run down, but it ended up not being so quick so let’s see if I can really cut it down....

School (ill). Leave and get internship. Go travelling, return unwell. First year of uni, ok. Summer travelling, end up in hospital (also get wisdom teeth out), lots of antibiotics. Start second year, get very ill and have to defer. Move home, try lots of remedies, get a little better. Start second year again, get ill again and defer. Get job, goes ok until I get ill. Have to quit. Get better, go travelling. Return (well!) and start second year (again). Get ill within a month and defer year (again). Get job, goes ok until...I get ill. And that pretty much brings us up to now, where I’ve been significantly unwell since this time last year (I remember because it was the week before my birthday in which I decided I had to quit my job again, what a fun birthday present!).

Some other things have happened too, I’ve loved, been heartbroken and then fallen in love again. I actually moved cities in between the first second year and the second second year. I’ve travelled alone through Vietnam and sat on the roof of one of the highest buildings in Hanoi eating sushi. I’ve taken photographs at fetish parties and food festivals, and of course I’ve set up Charley’s Little Kitchen (a children's cookery school in case you don't know). But as I sit here now, I don’t really feel like I have gotten any further than I was a year ago, or even a few years ago. I’ve learnt a lot, and yes that counts. But in all the ways that society measures success I have achieved nothing. I’m less financially independent now than I have ever  before been in my life. I’m still ‘trying to get better’ when people ask what it is that I do.  In essence, I have nothing to show for myself since I left school. I haven’t even got a degree.

I'm not sure where I was going with this post, it’s starting to sound a bit doom and gloom. I guess it's that society seems to have these ideas for how we are supposed to progress through life. You go to school and get your qualifications. Go to uni and get a degree. Get a job and climb the ladder. Save up and find a wife/husband/non gender defined life partner. Get a house, get a mortgage, have babies... but what happens to those of us that don’t fit in the mold? Who neither get a degree, a job or a husband? What are we supposed to do? I certainly as fuck don’t know, but I made some mighty fine ribs tonight and I think it is a high time for a recipe on the blog...

Barbecue Ribs (that never see a barbecue)

This recipe is more of an art than a science, my measurements are sometimes approximations as I generally go a splodge of this, a splash of that...Also I've recently started using cup measurements because they are just so handy to have, but I've included the ml measurements in case anybody doesn't have 'cups'. 


Pork Ribs (as many as you want to eat, you can always scale up/down the wet ingredients)
½ cup (120ml) soy sauce
¼  cup (60ml) tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
¼ (60ml) cup honey
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic (smashed to get rid of the skin, but left whole)
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons (sweet) paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin

This is a really taxing dish...

Rub the spices onto the pork ribs. This can be done up to a day ahead to really allow the flavours to permeate the meat.

Preheat the oven to 160 C (140 fan) Pour all the liquid ingredients, the bay leaf and the garlic into an ovenproof dish. Ideally one that has a lid (I use a cast iron le creuset style casserole) but this can be improvised.

Place the ribs in the dish and add enough water so that the liquid comes ¾ way up the ribs.  Put the lid on and put them in the oven for 3-4 hours, until the meat is falling away from the bones. Check every hour to make sure they aren’t drying out and give everything a mix around. After two hours, check the seasoning of the sauce. If it is too sweet add more vinegar (for sourness) or soy sauce (for saltiness). If it is too sour/salty, add tomato ketchup and/or honey.

For the last 20 minutes, take the lid off so that the sauce can caramelise and coat the ribs in its sweet and yummy stickiness.


And now it is time for me to go to sleep, because it is already my birthday! I'll also be updating this with pictures of the ribs, but I cannot for the life of me find my connecting cable at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment